The first known documentation of Baptists in the Town of Conway dates to April of 1795. In August of 1796, a small band of Baptist believers met at the home of Samuel Willey and called a recognition council of other like-minded churches to examine their doctrine and organization. The council accepted the body as the "Baptist Church of Christ" in Conway. Having no building, the church met in homes, barns and the town meetinghouse. Richard Smith was called as the first Pastor in October, 1796. A farm was purchased for use as the first parsonage; the barn was constructed first and the house completed in 1802.
The church building was built in 1838. The bell in our steeple, weighing 638 pounds, was purchased from the Revere Copper Co. and was shipped from Boston for a "trucking" charge of 50 cents.
The current parsonage on Kearsarge Street was built in 1847. An acre of land was purchased for $50 and several men in the church worked on framing the house. They received sixty-seven cents a day for their labors. In renovations carried out at the house in 1997 and 1998, workers found the original post-and-beam framing still intact and in good condition.
The real testimony of First Baptist Church, however, is not found so much in our historic buildings--as much as we cherish the heritage it represents--as it is in the lives that have been changed through the preaching of the gospel of Jesus Christ for more than 200 years. The measure of any church is the love and loyalty it has to the Word of God and to the Lord Jesus Christ. The objective of this body of believers is the same now as it was in 1795: to love, obey, serve and worship the only true and living God.